The Spirit of Hospitality
A live webinar course for up to 15 team members
The Art and Science of Hospitality and Service
Japanese have a word for it!
.. is the Japanese word for “extraordinary guest hospitality and service”. It’s known the world over for its attention to detail, tireless “can do” spirit and exceptionally high standards.
Helpfully, the philosophies, attitudes and service behaviours behind it all have labels – a special word, a 漢字 Kanji character or a proverbial expression that often has no direct word English translation.
Aims of this webinar course. And why now?
In these unprecedented times, even with some light at the end of the tunnel, many people in hospitality careers will be wondering what the “New Normal” in the industry will look like. Can the industry still give them the financial and career security they need into the future.
This 3 compact webinar course is full of interesting ideas and insights. It is timed to help hospitality L&D and H.R. managers motivate and prepare their home-confined teams in the lead up to re-opening the hotel post Covid19 lockdown.
It introduces the example of ”OMOTENASHI” hospitality culture as a tool to inform, inspire and re-engage teams with the spirit of hospitality.
The unique content was developed in anticipation of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics as “Omotenashi Hospitality Culture” was behind the Japanese Olympic committee’s winning bid.
A culture of Self-Esteem
Japan is also a “No-Tipping” culture with service quality consistency that comes from the sense of pride it gives them. The underlying theme is therefore “great hospitality comes from high self-esteem“.
The course begins and ends with the uniquely Japanese concept called “Ikigai 生き甲斐” – similar in meaning to a person’s “raison d’etre” and asks the question – Is a rewarding career in Hospitality your IKIGAI?
GUEST HOSPITALITY HEAVEN
Ikigai – 生き甲斐
- Discover Ikigai and how to find your own in the rewarding world of hospitality
- How Japan’s unique history created its extraordinary hospitality culture
- Japan is the world’s #1 high-context culture. What that means
- How its polite language lies behind its service ethos
Japanese Hospitality Culture
- Learn about the hospitality culture in Ryokan – traditional Japanese Inns
- The Tea Ceremony – how service rituals create great customer experiences
- Zen and the art of hospitality – why the settings all feel so good and how to emulate them in a western context
お 客 様 は 神 様 です
- Find out what “kyaku” is and the meaning of the rest of the saying
- So you’re saying that in Japan the customer is NOT “King”?
- How does the Okyakusama philosophy reinforce self-esteem?
Omotenashi – おもてなし
おO もMO てTE なNA しSHI
- Find out what “Omotenashi” has recently come to mean
- Now discover its real meaning – a powerful life philosophy
- The model behind the Omotenashi Customer eXperience
HIGH CONTEXT COMMUNICATION
Ishin Denshin 以心伝心 –
- Discover what this beautiful proverb means
- “Heart to Heart” or “Mind to Mind”. Both?
- Understand the meaning of Kūkiyomenai
Aisatsu 挨拶 Japanese Greetings culture
- “What do you say after you say hello?”
- Discover the Diamond Rule – why it goes beyond the Golden Rule
- What does “The Serial Position” have to do with greetings culture?
Aizuchi 相槌 – The fine art of Active Listening
- What exactly is Phatic Communication?
- How and why to do it really well!
- Is it what you say or when you say it? Or both?
- Learn about the Japanese approach to body language
- How controlling your own helps read it effectively in others
- How to avoid sending mixed messages
Kodawari and Kata
- Extreme Attention to Detail. People notice. Subconsciously.
- What, exactly, are they noticing? And why is it so pleasing?
- Discover the power of Attention to Detail in motion. “Service Theatre”
Ikigai #2 生き甲斐
- Is being an effective communicator part of your personal Ikigai?
THE SCIENCE OF EMPATHY
- Where does empathy come from?
- What is the difference between empathy and sympathy?
- Taking control with “Tactical Empathy”
- Taking it beyond basic anticipatory service skills
- Managing your guest’s state of “mindfulness”
- Managing your own state of “mindfulness”
Service Heaven for the forgotten 20%
- Who they are and why we forget them
- Why Japan is service heaven for them
- The challenges and opportunities in delighting them
Ichi go Ichi e 一期一会
- “One time: One Meeting.” A unique hospitality philosophy
- Understand the simple but deep idea behind the proverb
- Putting 一期一会 into practice
Ikigai #3 生き甲斐
- So. Is delivering empathetic hospitality”part of your Ikigai?
- Find out how Omotenashi and Ikigai are related
- Beyond “Sayonara” 10 ways Japanese say goodbye
Fun and Interactive
Each of the webinar sessions has opportunities for interactivity, engagement and entertainment. The end of each presents participants with some areas for their own research and practical ideas for skills development whilst under lockdown. All suggested in a way that is also intended to make the participant look forward to a return to the hotel.
Webinar Course Pricing
Contact us for our reasonable proposed pricing for the three session programme for your teams.
It includes an initial consultancy with LnD and HR leadership to explore specific areas of skills development or change of emphasis that your operation might like to incorporate.
It is very much understood that we live in unprecedented times and our 45 day payment invoice will not be submitted until the hotel has reopened.