A short course on the meaning of hospitality
A Three live webinars course for up to 15 team members
The Art and Science of Hospitality and Service
Japanese have a word for it!
.. is the Japanese word for “extraordinary guest hospitality and service”.
It’s known the world over for its attention to detail, energetic tireless “can do” spirit and exceptionally high standards.
Helpfully, the philosophies, attitudes and service behaviours behind Japan’s hospitality culture all have special descriptive labels – a special word, a 漢字 Kanji character or a proverbial expression that often has no direct word English translation.
Aims of the webinars and why now?
In these unprecedented times, even with some light at the end of the tunnel, many people in hospitality career will be wondering what the “New Normal” in the industry will look like.
They will also be wondering whether the industry can still give them the financial and career security they need into the future.
This 3 webinar course is timed to help hospitality L&D and H.R. managers motivate and prepare their home-confined teams in the lead up to re-opening the hotel post Covid19 lockdown.
The course introduces the example of the Japanese ”OMOTENASHI” hospitality culture to re-engage teams with the spirit of hospitality and re-inspire them.
The unique content was developed in anticipation of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics as “Omotenashi Hospitality Culture” was behind the Japanese Olympic committee’s winning bid.
It illustrates why the customer experience in Japan is so memorable and then compares their culture to ours here in the west.
Japan is also a “No-Tipping” culture with a service quality consistency that comes from the sense of pride it gives them. The course theme is therefore “great hospitality comes from high self-esteem” and the course begins and ends with the uniquely Japanese concept called “Ikigai 生き甲斐” – similar in meaning to a person’s “raison d’etre“.
WEBINAR #1 CONTENTS
GUEST HOSPITALITY HEAVEN
Ikigai – 生き甲斐
- Discover what Ikigai means and how to discover your own
- How Japan’s unique history created its extraordinary hospitality culture
- Japan is the world’s #1 high-context culture. What that means
- How its polite language lies behind its service ethos
Japanese Hospitality Culture
- Learn about the hospitality culture in Ryokan – traditional Japanese Inns
- The Tea Ceremony – how service rituals deliver a great customer experience
- Zen and the art of hospitality – why the settings all feel so good
お 客 様 は 神 様 です
- Find out what “kyaku” is and the meaning of the rest of the saying
- So you’re saying that in Japan the customer is NOT “King”?
- How does the Okyakusama philosophy reinforce self-esteem?
Omotenashi – おもてなし
- Learn what Omotenashi has recently come to mean
- Now discover its real meaning – a powerful life philosophy
- Understand the model behind delivering an Omotenashi experience
Kodawari and Kata
- Extreme Attention to Detail. People notice. Subconsciously.
- What, exactly, are they noticing? And why is it so pleasing?
- Discover the power of Attention to Detail in motion. “Service Theatre”
WEBINAR #2 CONTENTS
HIGH CONTEXT COMMUNICATION
Ishin Denshin 以心伝心 –
- Discover the meaning of this beautiful proverb
- Heart to Heart OR Mind to Mind. Or perhaps both?
- Understand the meaning of Kūkiyomenai
Aisatsu 挨拶 Japanese Greetings culture
- “What do you say after you say hello?”
- Discover the Diamond Rule – why it goes beyond the Golden Rule
- What does “The Serial Position” have to do with greetings culture?
Aizuchi 相槌 – The fine art of Active Listening
- What exactly is Phatic Communication?
- How to do it really well!
- Is it what you say or when you say it? Or both?
- Learn about the Japanese approach to body language
- How and why to control your own and read it effectively in others
- How to avoid sending mixed messages
Ikigai – 生き甲斐
- Is being an effective communicator part of your personal Ikigai?
WEBINAR #3 CONTENTS
THE SCIENCE OF EMPATHY
- Where does empathy come from?
- What is the difference between empathy and sympathy?
- Some great examples
- Taking it beyond basic anticipatory service skills
- Managing your guest’s state of “mindfulness”
- Managing your own state of mindfulness
Service Heaven for the forgotten 20%
- Who they are and why we forget them.
- Why Japan is service heaven for them.
- The challenges and opportunities in delighting them.
Ichi go Ichi e 一期一会
- “One time: One Meeting.” Their unique hospitality philosophy
- Understand the simple but deep idea behind the proverb
- Putting it into practice
Ikigai – 生き甲斐
- Is delivering empathetic hospitality”part of your Ikigai?
- Find out how Omotenashi and Ikigai are related
- Beyond “Sayonara” 10 other ways to say goodbye in Japan
Fun and Interactive
Each of the webinar sessions has opportunities for interactivity, engagement and entertainment. The end of each presents participants with some areas for their own research and practical ideas for skills development whilst under lockdown. All suggested in a way that is also intended to make the participant look forward to a return to the hotel.
Webinar Course Pricing
Contact us for our reasonable proposed pricing for the three session programme for your teams.
It includes an initial consultancy with LnD and HR leadership to explore specific areas of skills development or change of emphasis that your operation might like to incorporate.
It is very much understood that we live in unprecedented times and our 45 day payment invoice will not be submitted until the hotel has reopened.